I absolutely love freshly baked homemade muffins whether it is morning, noon, or nite. This apple, banana, and blueberry recipe is a favorite of mine, along with my kids, friends, and neighbors. What I like most about this recipe is that these muffins are healthy and wholesome. I make both full-size muffins for breakfast and mini size ones for snacks. Since these muffins use bananas, they don’t crumble and fall apart like most muffins, which makes them great for on the go. Since they are made with real fruit and oats, they are a great after school snack for my kids and their friends.
These muffins freeze surprisingly well, so make a second batch and freeze a few of each size for a later date. One batch will make 12 regular sized or 24 mini muffins.
What you will need…
- Muffin pan large or mini or both
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Mixing Spoon
- Paper muffin liners (optional)
- Food Chopper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (I prefer aluminum free baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (approximately 2 bananas)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup cow’s milk (can substitute with non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 3/4 cup raw cooking oatmeal (set 1/4 cup aside)
- Cinnamon sugar mix (recipe in Step 7 below)
- Non-stick spray (if not using muffin liners)
Let’s get started…
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix all dry ingredients into large mixing bowl. Stir till fully combined. Set aside.
Peel and then chop apples using the medium size grid of the food chopper. Mash peeled bananas with a fork on a plate before mixing with other ingredients.
Mix all wet ingredients together in medium-size mixing bowl.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Stir using mixing spoon.
If you are using muffin liners, place in the tray. If not, lightly spray muffin pans with cooking spray.
Spoon into the pan(s)
Sprinkle muffins with remaining 1/4 cup of oatmeal.
Then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix.
- 1/2 cup finely granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Place muffins into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, till a toothpick comes out clean. Baking time will vary.
Cool 10 minutes